Best Car Subwoofer – No great sound system in a car can miss a good set, pair or single unit of a subwoofer. While some compacts systems might include them with speakers, nothing will substitute a good dedicated subwoofer you can even possibly install customized with your own acosutic chamber, or installed in strategic positions where the bass will sound and bring up the chills on your neck. Let’s check a list of 5 of the best car subwoofers for 2016 out there right now in the market and what you can’t miss when you are buying yours.
Best Car Subwoofer Comparison Chart and Reviews
This one is first on our list as the best car subwoofer.Pioneer makes some big efforts developing their own OEM replacement parts for audio car systems. Their subwoofer is not different. The TS-SWX251 is a quite distinct piece. Only one subwoofer speaker delivers up to 800W of peak power and this is all you need. While you can combine the Pioneer subwoofer with any set you feel it will work great on, the results with the standard Pioneer sets of speakers is terrific.
- Design of Enclosure Ultra-Shalow.
- Air suspension system patented locking the air between a main cone and a drive cone.
- Flat, slim design fill fit on several different vehicles, from trucks, to cars and SUV. Custom box optimized for strong bass regardless of position.
- Only one subwoofer speaker, 800W peak power.
- Its a top seller on sites like Amazon, where it is rated 4 and half stars.
- The original price is $180, you can find by $140 on promotional sale.
Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12 Punch
Rockford is one of the best car subwoofers and the favorites among customers looking for OEM audio parts. They have great sets of speakers and this subwoofer complements the basses with perfection. The Fostage is designed to be installed in pair and you often will see them being sold in pairs, though you can opt to purchase only one unit at time.
- Push terminals made of custom 10-AWG nickel plate.
- Dual linear spider, anodized aluminum cone and dustcap with Rockford “VAST” (Vertical Attach Surround Technique) surround.
- The voice coils are high-temp, providing a 25% more effective radiating cone area.
- The sound quality has its reliability and performance improved.
- Each subwoofer has 600W of peak power.
- Is a 5 stars product on Amazon.
- Each subwoofer can be found on promotional sale for $150.
This JBL works like the Pioneer, with a flat, compact design that will easily fit in many kinds of vehicles. On the other hand, the GT-BassPro12 has one special technology that improves the quality of the bass sound, as well as manual controls to increase your autonomy customizing the sound inside the car.
- The Slipstream technology, a port design inside the box of the subwoofer to diminish port noise, providing a deep, bottom-end bass.
- Refined controls: manual equalization and automatic mode on/off.
- High-fidelity bass sound with several customizations independent from the device player system.
- The subwoofer will automatically turns on or off depending when the it is required as long as it works connected to the speakers.
- 4 and a half stars subwoofer.
- It works on 450W peak power only, works individually and costs $184 on promotional sale ($300 original price).
MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D
The Terminator Series is the kind of budget alike concept of subwoofer that can compete toe to toe with fanciest models, especially because it is not that much affordable but relatively more accessible. MTX provides a great, potent pair here to use on open cars or sound trucks, is a loud 800W peak power subwoofer and costs the same as many single subwoofers of lower peak power.
- Made of polypropylene dustcaps.
- 400W peak power on each subwoofer speaker.
- Has an enclosure made of extra-strength 5/8″ MDF, while other manufacturers only use a 1/2″ board.
- Allows low frequency sound waves generated by the subwoofers without problems.
- The strong enclosure allows the equipment to endure rough conditions as a sound truck subwoofer exposed to the ambient.
- 4 and a half stars.
- The original price is $400.
- You can find on promotion for $150.
Dual BP1204 Illumination Bandpass
This is the best budget alike subwoofer you will find out there with great bass quality. Dual is no little thing when it comes to OEM speakers and other audio devices. The Illumination Bandpass is ideal for open audio cars and trucks, has two devices and is as the name suggests, illuminated, so you can rock a bit the visuals with this set exposed in the ambient producing a potent 1100W peak power bass sound.
- Computer controlled chamber, made of MDF with added bracing and carpet covering.
- Lights made of Plexiglas windows for creative, color-coordinated installations.
- Customization of the sound by computer.
- You can equalize and set how the subwoofers will work.
- The illumination is also customizable.
- The MDF cover is perfect to protect the subwoofer when exposed.
- 4 and a half stars.
- The original price is $300, you will find it though on promotion for up to $180.
Tips When Purchasing the Best Car Subwoofer
Higher wattage means better sound quality?
No. Higher wattage only means the sound will be louder and stronger. If your intention is to build an audio car/truck, you will likely benefit much more from powerful devices ranging from 800W to 1200W. On the other hand, a simple 400W is all you need to have a powerful bass inside your car with all doors closed.
Should I match the subwoofer with the brand of my speakers?
This is not a rule of thumb and while obviously matching all the equipment from a same brand might work better, you can find devices from different brands that are compatible and work quite well together. Nothing is holding you from buying a subwoofer with better voice coils manufactured by other brand. These audio pieces are sold separately so you can try, test and mix whatever you want.
Subwoofers already attached to an enclosure box provide better sound?
Yes, and while many subwoofers are sold separately, that doesn’t mean you cannot build your own acoustic chamber, which is the case of many pros in the field. That’s why some of the most expensive devices are the ones sold box-free, since there are few limitations on the body of the subwoofer itself. Boxed devices might have some cons to compensate their compact size and consequently, the easy installation.
|Pioneer TS-SWX251||800 Watts||4-ohm||10-Inch|
|Rockford Fosgate||1200 Watts||2-ohm||12-Inch|
|JBL GT-BassPro12||450 Watts||4-ohm||12-Inch|
|MTX Terminator||800 Watts||2-ohm||12-inch|
|Dual BP1204||1100 Watts||4-ohm||12-inch|